Thursday, August 16, 2012

Gathering Moss Wrap-Up by Moderator Roxanne Bogart

Discussion topic:  Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses by Robin Wall Kimmerer

It seemed fitting to end with a beautiful wrap-up quote from the book:

 "The patterns of reciprocity by which mosses bind together a forest community offer us a vision of what could be. They take only the little they need and give back in abundance. Their presence supports the lives of rivers and clouds, trees, birds, algae, and salamanders, while ours puts them at risk. Human-designed systems are a far cry from this ongoing creation of ecosystem health, taking without giving back. Clearcuts may meet short-term desires of one species, but at the sacrifice of the equally legitimate needs of mosses and murrelets, salmon and spruce. I hold tight to the vision that someday soon we will find the courage of self-restraint, the humility to live like mosses. On that day, when we rise to give thanks to the forest, we may hear the echo in return, the forest giving thanks to the people."

Credit: Jon Sullivan
I hope that all the WILD READERs out there enjoyed Gathering Moss and were moved by Dr. Kimmerer's inspiring prose and insights into all that mosses have to teach us.

Thanks to the WILD READ Team - Anne Post at the National Conservation Training Center (NCTC) and Nancy Pollot from the FWS Pacific Northwest regional office -  for this opportunity to take part in WILD READ.


Best regards,
Roxanne

4 comments:

Karene said...

Roxanne, Thank for sharing your insights and selected passages from this book. I agree that your wrap up quote sums up this thoughtful book. "The humility to live like mosses"... I started by sitting in my over-shaded yard with new found appreciation for my plot of mosses. Three different kinds, I think. I may begin a path of living with more humility, but first, I learn as much as I can.

Roxanne Bogart said...

Thank you so much, Karene, for participating in the Gathering Moss blog. It was a thrill for me to share this book with others through WildRead. All the best! -- Roxanne

Anonymous said...

Brokersring.com - Learn how to turn $500 into $5,000 in a month!

[url=http://www.brokersring.com/]Make Money Online[/url] - The Secret Reveled with Binary Option

Binary Options is the way to [url=http://www.brokersring.com/]make money[/url] securely online

Anonymous said...

My famіly members all the tіme say that ӏ аm
wastіng my timе here at web, but I know I am getting knowledge every day
by reаding such good articleѕ.

Also ѵisit my web-sіte: New Bingo Sites