Friday, June 17, 2011

Truth or Fiction? By Mark Madison

It is interesting that after 21 non-fiction books, Professor Wilson decided to communicate his passion for the environment in a novel. It raises the interesting question: Does non-fiction or fiction provide the most powerful environmental literature? And the related question: What is the best book you have ever read on the environment?

Personally, if I had to pick, my favorite environmental book of all time is Aldo Leopold's A Sand County Almanac. I don't know if it is homesickness for my state of Wisconsin or Leopold's thoughtful prose, but this is a book I re-read every year. If I had to pick a powerful environmental work of fiction, I just recently read Margaret Atwood's Year of the Flood--an all too real extrapolation of present environmental trends. Atwood will be moderating this blog beginning July 3 and I look forward to her thoughts on the role of fiction in environmental thought.

That is all for me, it has been a pleasure co-moderating with Kris Hoellen and all of you who have taken the time to comment!

4 comments:

WILD READ Team said...

We want to remind our readers that your favorite environmental book could become a future WILD READ book selection so use the comment feature below. No need to wax eloquent if you want to just leave a title and author! Also see our early spring discussion about favorite environmental books here

Anne said...

All about Ed Wilson, boy naturalist. Seems Raff wasn't the only one who wrestled with swamp monsters: Go here

Anonymous said...

I have read mostly non-fiction books on conservation subjects and I wish there were more stories (like Anthill) to reveal conservation lessons. Carl Hiaasen's books (like Sick Puppy) are fun and can get you riled up.
It is the children's section that I see most interesting fiction - The Lorax (Seuss) and Old Turtle (Douglas Wood) are 2 favorites.

WILD READ Team said...

Dear Anonymous, you may find another one of our discussion blogs interesting - Connecting Children with Nature Through American Literature 1890-Today